Labels

A. Gaudí Adjusting Africa Airports Alberobello Amalfi Coast Ancient Greece Ancient Rome April Arienzo Auschwitz-Birkenau Baia Barcelona Baseball Basilica Cistern Beach Belgium Birthday Blue Mosque Boats Brussels Bucharest Burano CA Calcio Capua Car Horns Carney Park Caserta Casertavecchia Castellabate Castles Cathedral cats Change Christmas Coaching Coffee Community Concentration Camp Cooking Cortona Croatia Crypt Culture Shock Cuma D.C Driving Dublin Duomo Edinburgh Ercolano Fall Family Fan Mail Fasano Fashion Festivals Firenze Fireworks Food France Frustration G.Nome Gaeta Germany Gladiators Goals GPS Grand Bazaar Guest Writer Gym Halloween Hiking Holidays Home House House-hunting Ikea International Travel Ireland Ischia Istanbul Italian Italian Culture Italian History Italian Men Jet lag Job Search Krakow La Sagrada Familia Language Laundry Le Piume Nere Lisbon Lizards Madrid Marathon Marcianise Markets Martina Franca Matera Milestone Minions Moltocino Mondragone Monte Di Procida Montella Montepulciano Mount Vesuvio Moving Murano Museums Naples New Years NPS OCONE Opera Orvieto Ostuni Outside the Wire Parc Güell Paris Pasta Pieza Pizza Poland Portugal Positano Power Outage Pozzo di S. Patrizio Protest Ramblings RAVI Resolutions Romania Rome Rota Royal Palace Running Rynek Museum San Carlo Theater Santa Maria di Leuca Schindler's Factory Scotland Seasons Ships Shoes Shopping Siena Sightseeing Signore Gatto Soccer Solopaca Sorrento Spain Spice Market Spring Strikes Stuttgart TDY Thanksgiving TLA Trains Trieste Trulli TSA Tübingen Turkey Tuscany Uffizi Updates VA VBS Vietri sul Mare Visitors Walking Tour Warrior Dash Whatisit? Whirling Dervishes Wine Work Zagreb Zoosafari Zumba

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Just One of Those Moods...

I'm in one of those moods, so beware.
One of those moods that I just can't shake.
It's been coming on for a few days now and tonight it's reached the point of needing to spit everything out on this "sticky note" before cleaning it up, making sure I want to post it to the world, sitting on it and then posting it if you're reading it now.

Here are a few of my conclusions from earlier processing:

I like my job.
I'm still 100% happy with my decision flee Monterey, although I so very badly miss OG & GWB and our swapping of office nightmares over coffee or GG&Ts.
I probably have an Italian size portion of food on my social calendar (or more).
I'm not a very patient person- especially when it comes to being patient with myself.

Here it is the last Tuesday of FY11. Unlike end of fiscal years past, I'm still working like a mad woman making sure that ships repairs, travel, and other misc. expenses are received by 30 September so the payment is taken from the FY11 budget, not FY12. Stressful? Yes. New appreciation for the SPFAs I worked with? YES. Feeling exhausted way too early in the week? Yep.

It doesn't help that my supervisor (the comptroller) was out of the office until Thursday of last week on travel after leaving me a stack several folders high of things to process. Needless to say, the last 2ish weeks have been at a crazy pace. Actually with the exception of a few days every week has been at a crazy pace. Come to think of it, I was doing all my training at that point so the work probably was still crazy I was just oblivious. Nah, our AOR has been super busy (think issues in Northern Africa). How busy? We've already significantly more documents than last year.

All kidding aside that I just sat in my office at NPS, you all know I got my work done. Sure I'd put the tough stuff off for a little bit, but  if it was my responsibility I'd try to figure it out and it would get done. Unlike NPS though, we're sort of isolated out here (shoot, our HQ is in DC or VA or somewhere...I still don't get the organization structure, but from what I've heard neither does HQ). This means I can't just call the person who holds the same jobs as I do in the department next door. It means I get to call Bahrain or wait for it to be a decent hour in DC and pray that emails are checked.

Yes. I am playing the "I'm new card." It's only been 4 months and not even with all the time I've spent setting up my life in Naples and training. Seriously- if I'm still trying to play this card at the end of month 6 then you can roll your eyes. But yes, 4 months. That's 1/3 done of my "I can do anything for a year." I'd be lying if I said that didn't cross my mind earlier today when I had to get out my office because I was so frustrated with everything.  True it's only been 4 months so I really can't have a complete handle on everything but since when have I known to be a patient person? Sigh.  

***Alright so I've done some serious editing but I think you can get the gist of what's going on in my head and how my days are. Of course the lack of emails, FB posts, and blog posts also indicate that I get home, eat dinner,  and throw myself into bed. Here it is 1 October (HAPPY NEW YEAR) and I'm still anticipating a busy week...we move offices this week and rumor has it I'm going to TDY. Throw in class, coaching soccer....va bene. Seriously. I am choosing to do those things but really? Leaving the house when it's dark, walking to my office (from the gym), not seeing the sun unless I leave my office to grab coffee/food/escape) and then driving home as the sun sets really isn't working for me so it's time to reevaluate. Or else just go find some serious fun...like a wine trip tomorrow. I don't think I could have scheduled that one any better a month ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment