Labels

A. Gaudí Adjusting Africa Airports Alberobello Amalfi Coast Ancient Greece Ancient Rome April Arienzo Auschwitz-Birkenau Baia Barcelona Baseball Basilica Cistern Beach Belgium Birthday Blue Mosque Boats Brussels Bucharest Burano CA Calcio Capua Car Horns Carney Park Caserta Casertavecchia Castellabate Castles Cathedral cats Change Christmas Coaching Coffee Community Concentration Camp Cooking Cortona Croatia Crypt Culture Shock Cuma D.C Driving Dublin Duomo Edinburgh Ercolano Fall Family Fan Mail Fasano Fashion Festivals Firenze Fireworks Food France Frustration G.Nome Gaeta Germany Gladiators Goals GPS Grand Bazaar Guest Writer Gym Halloween Hiking Holidays Home House House-hunting Ikea International Travel Ireland Ischia Istanbul Italian Italian Culture Italian History Italian Men Jet lag Job Search Krakow La Sagrada Familia Language Laundry Le Piume Nere Lisbon Lizards Madrid Marathon Marcianise Markets Martina Franca Matera Milestone Minions Moltocino Mondragone Monte Di Procida Montella Montepulciano Mount Vesuvio Moving Murano Museums Naples New Years NPS OCONE Opera Orvieto Ostuni Outside the Wire Parc Güell Paris Pasta Pieza Pizza Poland Portugal Positano Power Outage Pozzo di S. Patrizio Protest Ramblings RAVI Resolutions Romania Rome Rota Royal Palace Running Rynek Museum San Carlo Theater Santa Maria di Leuca Schindler's Factory Scotland Seasons Ships Shoes Shopping Siena Sightseeing Signore Gatto Soccer Solopaca Sorrento Spain Spice Market Spring Strikes Stuttgart TDY Thanksgiving TLA Trains Trieste Trulli TSA Tübingen Turkey Tuscany Uffizi Updates VA VBS Vietri sul Mare Visitors Walking Tour Warrior Dash Whatisit? Whirling Dervishes Wine Work Zagreb Zoosafari Zumba

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

It's kind of like...Mr. Toad's Wild Ride

....every day out on the roads of southern Italy.

Today I drove to work, all by myself, without a GPS. I had warned my coworker last night that if she didn't see me by 0700 to send out the Search & Rescue Team.

In all honesty getting out on the road this time of year is perfect because it's not so crowded. You see, August is the summer holiday month here in southern Italy because it's so stinkin' hot. Um no, it's not August yet but apparently this is one thing that Italians like to be early for? Also, it's not hot at all compared to the temps I experienced in Virginia but I have a feeling that's about to change with my calendar in just a few days.  (I'm okay if it doesn't though!)

So driving into work wasn't half bad- most cars on the road were headed to the same place I was with the exception of delivery trucks. I even made all my correct turns and made it to the parking lot where I only had some issues. Go figure right? I can find where I need to go but not the parking garage?

Heading home was a little different. I found myself stalling when it was time to leave the office because I wasn't quite yet psyched up to deal with the demands of driving. It's not that the driving part is tough...but it's the "head on a swivel" that requires attention which means no rocking out with the radio. Fortunately I still haven't found  my country station (ha, I just need one CD to get unpacked and I'll be happy) so it's not too hard to eliminate that distraction.

What kills me the most about driving here is that fact that it really feels like Mr. Toad's Wild Ride. Not so much the driving through brick walls and then escaping hell but more of the not committing to a single lane. Most driver's straddle two lanes (or the shoulder) and move over just enough to allow someone to pass on the left or pass whoever is driving super slow in the right lane.

I know in the past I've been accused of being a tailgater and a zooming in/out of traffic driver but I now think it was just in preparation for living here. Don't get me wrong- I was in the slow lane (traffic was moving at 40mph) most of the time just because I didn't want to miss my exits.

You know how I've talked about "just going with it" in the past? I think driving in Italy best illustrates why I gotta "just go with it": there is no use fighting the flow of traffic and lack of rules. I'm not the first to say this (and I've probably said it before) but the roads of Naples really are controlled chaos. I for one will be trying to maintain some order out there but if I ever hope to enter a round-about I'm going to have to get out there and pray I get out of the mass of cars with Ravi in the same condition he was when we entered it.

Stay tuned for more updates, but I think the best way to really know what I'm talking about is to come out here and hit the roads with me. Or you know, I'll try to get some video footage next time I have a passenger.

No comments:

Post a Comment