Labels

A. Gaudí Adjusting Africa Airports Alberobello Amalfi Coast Ancient Greece Ancient Rome April Arienzo Auschwitz-Birkenau Baia Barcelona Baseball Basilica Cistern Beach Belgium Birthday Blue Mosque Boats Brussels Bucharest Burano CA Calcio Capua Car Horns Carney Park Caserta Casertavecchia Castellabate Castles Cathedral cats Change Christmas Coaching Coffee Community Concentration Camp Cooking Cortona Croatia Crypt Culture Shock Cuma D.C Driving Dublin Duomo Edinburgh Ercolano Fall Family Fan Mail Fasano Fashion Festivals Firenze Fireworks Food France Frustration G.Nome Gaeta Germany Gladiators Goals GPS Grand Bazaar Guest Writer Gym Halloween Hiking Holidays Home House House-hunting Ikea International Travel Ireland Ischia Istanbul Italian Italian Culture Italian History Italian Men Jet lag Job Search Krakow La Sagrada Familia Language Laundry Le Piume Nere Lisbon Lizards Madrid Marathon Marcianise Markets Martina Franca Matera Milestone Minions Moltocino Mondragone Monte Di Procida Montella Montepulciano Mount Vesuvio Moving Murano Museums Naples New Years NPS OCONE Opera Orvieto Ostuni Outside the Wire Parc Güell Paris Pasta Pieza Pizza Poland Portugal Positano Power Outage Pozzo di S. Patrizio Protest Ramblings RAVI Resolutions Romania Rome Rota Royal Palace Running Rynek Museum San Carlo Theater Santa Maria di Leuca Schindler's Factory Scotland Seasons Ships Shoes Shopping Siena Sightseeing Signore Gatto Soccer Solopaca Sorrento Spain Spice Market Spring Strikes Stuttgart TDY Thanksgiving TLA Trains Trieste Trulli TSA Tübingen Turkey Tuscany Uffizi Updates VA VBS Vietri sul Mare Visitors Walking Tour Warrior Dash Whatisit? Whirling Dervishes Wine Work Zagreb Zoosafari Zumba

Monday, July 4, 2011

4th of July in Italy

This wasn't my first 4th of July outside the home of the free and the brave, but it was the first over seas 4th that felt like I was in the states. I guess that's what happens when you spend it with a ton of Americans, at a military recreation site while in Italy. In fact, the only thing that reminded me that I was in Italy was the Italian being spoken around me by the Italian guests also celebrating with us.

Sure it wasn't a the picnic at Colton Hall, being a pyro with 10 sparklers in my hand, or even watching the volunteer fire department put out a fire on the ball field in the middle of Utah but it's definitely one for the history books...no colored fog!

Although the Carney Park event apparently wasn't as busy as previous years, it was still plenty busy with food and craft vendors, a stage with the most annoying MC ever, pie eating contests, bands, rides, and yes, fireworks.

At first I was thinking no big deal on fireworks since every day I've been here I've seen and/or heard fireworks (we'll have a "Let's Talk....Fireworks" posting later) but these were real fireworks. As they were being shot off in an extinct volcano the noise echoing from the crater mutiplied and I couldn't help but think of it as "payback" for those 1am firework shows most of us have been subject to at this point.



Nothing screams 4th of July like Katy Perry- right? Oh well. Being surrounded by fellow Americans- those who have given so much to protect our freedom really put the holiday in perceptive. Happy 4th of July everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Is that you in the background singing with Katy Perry?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I'm more of a Gaga fan! One of these days I'll do a singing post. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete