Labels

A. Gaudí Adjusting Africa Airports Alberobello Amalfi Coast Ancient Greece Ancient Rome April Arienzo Auschwitz-Birkenau Baia Barcelona Baseball Basilica Cistern Beach Belgium Birthday Blue Mosque Boats Brussels Bucharest Burano CA Calcio Capua Car Horns Carney Park Caserta Casertavecchia Castellabate Castles Cathedral cats Change Christmas Coaching Coffee Community Concentration Camp Cooking Cortona Croatia Crypt Culture Shock Cuma D.C Driving Dublin Duomo Edinburgh Ercolano Fall Family Fan Mail Fasano Fashion Festivals Firenze Fireworks Food France Frustration G.Nome Gaeta Germany Gladiators Goals GPS Grand Bazaar Guest Writer Gym Halloween Hiking Holidays Home House House-hunting Ikea International Travel Ireland Ischia Istanbul Italian Italian Culture Italian History Italian Men Jet lag Job Search Krakow La Sagrada Familia Language Laundry Le Piume Nere Lisbon Lizards Madrid Marathon Marcianise Markets Martina Franca Matera Milestone Minions Moltocino Mondragone Monte Di Procida Montella Montepulciano Mount Vesuvio Moving Murano Museums Naples New Years NPS OCONE Opera Orvieto Ostuni Outside the Wire Parc Güell Paris Pasta Pieza Pizza Poland Portugal Positano Power Outage Pozzo di S. Patrizio Protest Ramblings RAVI Resolutions Romania Rome Rota Royal Palace Running Rynek Museum San Carlo Theater Santa Maria di Leuca Schindler's Factory Scotland Seasons Ships Shoes Shopping Siena Sightseeing Signore Gatto Soccer Solopaca Sorrento Spain Spice Market Spring Strikes Stuttgart TDY Thanksgiving TLA Trains Trieste Trulli TSA Tübingen Turkey Tuscany Uffizi Updates VA VBS Vietri sul Mare Visitors Walking Tour Warrior Dash Whatisit? Whirling Dervishes Wine Work Zagreb Zoosafari Zumba

Sunday, April 28, 2013

My 1st Thirty Years

Call it a freak out if you must.
I prefer to call it a character building experience.

I decided to list 30 things that I've learned about myself in these 30 years.

Sure, a lot of these haven't been the case since I was born, but many of them started to take root when I was much younger. So without any further rambling, here are 30 things that at the end of the day I know are true about who I am and what I believe and I don't see changing any time soon:
  1. Dessert can be (and should) be eaten as a meal (cake for breakfast, ice cream for lunch, cookies and candy corn for dinner...comment if you want additional menu plans).
  2. If you poke fun at God, my family, or the SF Giants expect to hear about it.
  3. I don't care what form my coffee is in, but it better be strong.
  4. It's a great big world out there, and I plan to see, explore, and experience it.
  5. I dance like a white girl, but that doesn't stop me from kitchen dance parties while I'm cooking.
  6. I'm okay being 30 and having pink be my favorite color. (5 year old Katie had that one figured out a long time ago!)
  7. I prefer my cats male and gray, but any cat is better than none.
  8. Seeing something that breaks your heart is a good thing...it means your heart isn't numb and  that little something is stirring to figure out how to make a change.
  9. Happiness is a choice.
  10. Life is better with a touch heaps of peppermint.
  11. I still don't care for pasta, even after 2 years in Italy.
  12. Christmas music should NOT be reserved for only a few weeks out of the year.
  13. No matter how many times the USPS raises postage, I'll still prefer to send a sticker covered, doodles drawn, more words on the outside of the envelope than in the actual letter inside to show I'm thinking about someone.
  14. Laughter is my default reaction; it's way better than tears, anger, or words in many cases.
  15. My clean laundry sits for no less than 48 hours before it's actually put away...freshly washed and wrinkled.
  16. I bite my nails when I'm bored to death at the office or stressed out.
  17. I think spell check is the greatest invention EVER...yet I still have typos.
  18. I put easy things on my check lists (shower, eat breakfast) just so I can feel productive at the end of the day.
  19. The smell of wet dirt/cement after a rain storm is my favorite.
  20. Sunsets are amazing, but I prefer watching the stars fade, moon set, and to greet the sun as it rises.
  21. Even on my worst days, there are millions out there worse off than I am so I need to suck it up, move on.
  22. Sweating grosses me out, but I've moved past it enough to get out of the pool and start running.
  23. With each wedding I attend or take part in, something from my once epic wedding weekend gets cut. Before too many more I'll be down to a courthouse wedding...
  24. And yes, even after reading Endurance, I want to spend my honeymoon (after said courthouse wedding) on a multi-week National Geographic cruise to Antarctica.
  25. I often compete with others...who don't know we're competing.
  26. "Nap" in Katie means sleeping 10 minutes to all afternoon, so make sure you know which kind I'm talking about if we're making plans.
  27. Despite being half Mexican, I will never be darker than beige. Yes, that is taking into account all my freckles. And yes, I've given up on my freckles uniting to produce a "tan." I'm white. I got it. Aren't you proud of me for finally realizing this one mom?
  28. Although I've fought it for years, I'm a Drama Queen. Not so much my drama, but others.
  29. My brain never (ever) turns off. The internal dialogue? Thankfully there isn't a speaker broadcasting and I have to take the time to either open my mouth to share or you know, sit infront of the computer and translate the thoughts to words. Sorry.
  30. I live an incredible life. To think that at 30 (wow that's strange to type) I've done so many things? It's pretty unreal. I'm not sure how I've been so fortunate to be given these opportunities, but I'm not complaining! Here's to the next 30 and all the adventures, experiences, and self realizations they will hold. 

No comments:

Post a Comment