Few things are for sure- 2011 has been a fabulous year and I really don't know how 2012 can beat it. It's ridiculous to think that a decade has passed since I stood in the Custom House Plaza counting down to 2001, excited that that meant high school graduation, going to college, and a million other plans, some that haven't happened- but you know what? That's okay.
The 17 year old version of me had a much different idea of what I'd be doing at 28 but you know what? That's because that Katie had no freaking idea how things would play out. Never in a million years would I have believed that this would be my life...Italy? Training for marathons? Breakfast in the Kenyan Savannah? Touring Navy ships? Stomping grapes? Amazing how that works out and amazing how a little patience (cause we all know that's all I have) can all of a sudden allow you to cross off a goal of 2 years!
Speaking of goals- my 11 for 2011 I did alright. In the 365 days that have followed my waking up on the streets of Pasadena, half frozen, to watch the 2011 Rose Parade I was able to accomplish 6 of my goals. No, not exactly a passing grade there is it?
What Got Accomplished
- Flee Monterey: This has been my #1 goal for 2 years running so the fact that it was actually completed this year made headline news! Everything played out fabulously and really, Naples Italy is really not a bad place to flee to. Turns out I really did just have to keep sending that resume out...weekly to various postings.
- Adopt a Kitty: It was amazing just how easy this was to do once moving to Italy. It's even more amazing just how much more fun it is to have a pet in the house again. Signore Nico is his name and yes, you've seen his picture plenty.
- Attend Fan Fest: My dad and I braved Fan Fest for the San Franscico Giants. I say braved because there were so many people the gates were actually shut for a while so we just ate pizza and walked along the water. Not wanting to give up, we game it one last shot and got in...or stormed the gate.
- Dominate the 5K: Okay, so domination did not occur but I did participate in 4 5K events. I also managed to get several 10Ks in and even a few "longer than 10Ks." In the running department I also participated in my first trail run and joined a running club in Italy.
- Read a Book a Month...Just Because: So maybe it wasn't one per month...I don't do well with reading deadlines, but I definitely read 12 books. Non fiction seemed to be my thing this year- blame it on my trip to Kenya.
- Defend Cookie Queen Title: I don't have the 2011 crown on my head, but I was there to compete so I'm happy. Besides, I passed the title to one of my favorite people and it turned out to be a cookie collaboration of a bunch of my other favorite people. Speaking of which, if you're interested in the cookie entries for this year use this link to find them.
What Got Put on Hold
- Finish Cal Poly @ Sea Scrapbook: With all the time already put into this, the last thing I was going to do it put it in a container to join me in Italy by sea. Well, somehow it just never made it to Italy to join me with all of my scrapbooking stuff.
- Create & Stick to a Monthly Budget: Again, blaming the move to Italy. Hey- you try to build a budget when you still don't have real bills coming in, were being reimbursed for living expenses for 3 months, & dealing in two currencies?
- Learn to Cut Apart Chicken: I mean, this really shouldn't be that tough but I just need to practice...should I start looking into chicken recipes?
What Just Didn't Happen
- Visit Nina in Texas: I tried, I really did! But this whole move to another country thing sort of made it difficult.
- Do a pull-up. A Real One: I was so good working on this over the summer, but then I got lazy. My T-Rex arms live to see 2012.
That's the funny thing- I can make all the plans I want, set goals ranging from easy to lofty, and even cross them off but, at the end of the year there are so many other things that I just couldn't anticipate or even fathom. It does drive me crazy, but in the end, it beats the alternative of not being alive to experience this thing I call the Life of Katie O.
I hope that 2011 has been a fabulous year and if it hasn't- 2012 is here with 366 days to make things happen. Who knows? Maybe I'll even get enough of those goals completed to "pass."
Hope to see you all sometime during 2012- my summer is promising to be filled with visitors at this rate but you know what? Skype also proves to be a fabulous (and budget saving) method for me to still see your face.
Felice Anno Nuovo!
~Katie~
Felice Anno Nuovo!
~Katie~

No comments:
Post a Comment