Labels

A. Gaudí Adjusting Africa Airports Alberobello Amalfi Coast Ancient Greece Ancient Rome April Arienzo Auschwitz-Birkenau Baia Barcelona Baseball Basilica Cistern Beach Belgium Birthday Blue Mosque Boats Brussels Bucharest Burano CA Calcio Capua Car Horns Carney Park Caserta Casertavecchia Castellabate Castles Cathedral cats Change Christmas Coaching Coffee Community Concentration Camp Cooking Cortona Croatia Crypt Culture Shock Cuma D.C Driving Dublin Duomo Edinburgh Ercolano Fall Family Fan Mail Fasano Fashion Festivals Firenze Fireworks Food France Frustration G.Nome Gaeta Germany Gladiators Goals GPS Grand Bazaar Guest Writer Gym Halloween Hiking Holidays Home House House-hunting Ikea International Travel Ireland Ischia Istanbul Italian Italian Culture Italian History Italian Men Jet lag Job Search Krakow La Sagrada Familia Language Laundry Le Piume Nere Lisbon Lizards Madrid Marathon Marcianise Markets Martina Franca Matera Milestone Minions Moltocino Mondragone Monte Di Procida Montella Montepulciano Mount Vesuvio Moving Murano Museums Naples New Years NPS OCONE Opera Orvieto Ostuni Outside the Wire Parc Güell Paris Pasta Pieza Pizza Poland Portugal Positano Power Outage Pozzo di S. Patrizio Protest Ramblings RAVI Resolutions Romania Rome Rota Royal Palace Running Rynek Museum San Carlo Theater Santa Maria di Leuca Schindler's Factory Scotland Seasons Ships Shoes Shopping Siena Sightseeing Signore Gatto Soccer Solopaca Sorrento Spain Spice Market Spring Strikes Stuttgart TDY Thanksgiving TLA Trains Trieste Trulli TSA Tübingen Turkey Tuscany Uffizi Updates VA VBS Vietri sul Mare Visitors Walking Tour Warrior Dash Whatisit? Whirling Dervishes Wine Work Zagreb Zoosafari Zumba

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Ciao Italia!

I'm headed home today- come protests, strikes, or whatever else Italy can throw at me.

Seriously. It's like she's trying to keep me in country and I haven't even made it to the airport yet!

Last night on my way home I had to turn around about 5 minutes from the end of my route because a ton (and I do mean a ton) of people were blocking the road. *Sigh* Time for the scenic route.

After dealing with even more traffic on the other side of our little penninsula I made it up the hill to my normal turn. But unlike other nights, I found an officer on every corner talking. When I realized the car in front of me didn't stop I did the same thing, but then he started to talk to me. I tried in my best Italian to explain to him that I live on the street as I pointed to that direction. He quickly realized that I was not a native speaker and I kid you not asked "why don't you speak English?" and I laughed. Dangit. I tired to explian (in English) that since I live in Italy I don't assume everyone speaks English. But wait. I live in MDP so it's a different place.

I finally made it home- did a power clean because if things aren't in order before I leave it's not cool. A quick trip downstairs for my last real pizzas before departure filled me in with what was going on. Yes. You did real that correctly- pizzas. A real one and then una con nutella. But perhaps more importantly was getting the scoop on what was happening in the streets below.

Here's a look at what was going on but the long story short: they're actually beginning to crack down on taxes and law enforcement. (I'll hold for you to catch your breath.) There are three houses that were built a few years back without permits. For some reason, the family that owns the homes are being targeted and they are scheduled to be torn down. This morning in the office we were commenting that if they are really going after all illegally built homes...Italy is going to look a heck of a lot different in the next few months.

Well, the mobs you see are blocking the roads with their numbers in addition to road signs, lawn chairs, boxes...basically anything they can get their hands on.

We had way too much pizza for me to eat. Nico helped a bit but we then admitted defeat and he happily curled up in his crate. Nico was then dropped off at his spa. Well, that is after we took a very scenic route again since the protesters were still there. My what should have been 45 minute adventure turned to about double that. Oh well. Not like I still had bags to pack.

I eventually got everything pack; well, I think it's everthing and even got a few hours of sleep. This morning down the hill I was optomistic but when I turned the curve I saw sleepy Italians once agian piling up whatever they could to block the road. Luckily, I was able to turn back around to take my scenic route once again. A few of my coworkers weren't so lucky and had to pled with the prostesters to let them back up the hill since they were blocked between the roads.

Sigh.

You all probably think I'm crazy with my next statement but it's still true: I absolutely LOVE Italy. Sure my neighborhood isn't supposed to have stuff like this going on but it's what makes every day an adventure! I am however ready for a different kind of adventure- one through lettuce fields in a car that looks tiny compared to the others, where drivers stay between the lines, and I can actually talk in English.

Next stop: Monterey! Well, not really but I'll be there eventually...assuming I survive enemy territory (LAX).

No comments:

Post a Comment