One day down....365*3 - 1 to go.
No, it really wasn't that bad but nothing like starting from scratch at a new place. This post may be a little disjointed because I'm trying to figure out where my last 9 hours went since I didn't spend them sleeping in my bed.
New Job Jitters
Last night the new job jitters got the best of me and even after taking some meds to help sleep, I was well rested and ready to go at 0030...as in I took the best 2 hour power nap ever. So after tossing, turning, dozing for 50 minute stretches my alarm went off and I was thrilled. Got ready in no time, even chatted some with friends back home before meeting the other person who interviewed me downstairs and we drove into work together. If you ever thought I was a morning person...wow oh wow, she puts a whole new meaning to the phrase. I think is was mostly due the fact that she's leaving this week but it was a tad too much for me in this zombie like state.
No Army man will find me now...
My new second home looks a lot more like a college campus than NPS with its yellow buildings, parking garage and open cobble stone paths. The sound of planes coming and going also reminded me of NPS since the airport is our immediate neighbor. After walking through one of the courtyards, we came across a rather official looking building with no windows. Before I even realized what was happening we were going inside this building. Yep. I gave up my beautiful window (with fabulous view) for a shared office with no windows. Only time will tell if it the experience gained will be worth the trade, but today something within me died as the 3490342nd door closed behind us and we were finally in our office. Okay, so there aren't that many doors but I assure you there are several all requiring my badge to be scanned and pin entered. Which raises one of my major concerns....how are my Army men supposed to find me if I'm being kept locked up in a basement?!?!?!
The Meet & Greets
First day on the job means 2 things: a bunch of people are going to be introduced to you and you get to answer a ton of questions. I sure can't tell you the names of who I met today, but I know I met the engineer, director, lawyer, POA guy, and then a whole other office. It's bad when I remember the other office because 3 (if not 4) all told me how wonderful Monterey was and at one point or another had been to NPS for either a degree or conference. One guy even told me that he is really good friends with John Pisto and then asked what did I do to make me leave Monterey for Naples? Eek. Not what I want to hear this early on in the tour. This office also had some serious uniforms going on but they all looked they were 15 and yet somehow married? Yeah, I still get the "are you married" question from just about everyone I meet which I guess is a little better than the "did your husband get a job in Naples?" which was asked way too many times when I told everyone I was moving.
And then there is insurance, housing, and more touring...
After coming out of the dungeon and realizing that there really was a beautiful day happening on the other side of the walls, the tours continued. Mind you after sitting in a cool office, left alone for a while I was fighting off the urge to pass out in between yawns and did all I could to pay attention to the information being given to me. After a super short drive back to my hotel the tour continued with meeting the auto insurance lady...who basically told me buy a "beater" for my day to day commute and leave Ravi in the garage for weekend and longer distances. (Dad-I'll be calling you about this one soon).
The last stop on our tour was the housing office....where once again I sat and waited so long that by the time I met with someone I could barely string 4 words together. After searching the database (which really has no structure other than region and # of rooms) I found 4 places that seemed reasonable and I'm checking them out tomorrow. Yes, no worries- these places have spare rooms but there won't be any moving until my car gets here...or I buy another one?
Today in a nutshell was the beginning of putting together the pieces of normal I was in dire need of yesterday but that doesn't mean this process is not overwhelming. The little part of my job that I saw today won't be tough at all- especially since my coworker is extremely organized in a way not too far off from my own and for the most part I have some experience with most of this. The lack of people my age that I'll be interacting with daily is my major concern so I guess it's time to start contacting all those people that you all know out here and creating a social network of real people because coming home and looking into this computer screen isn't the life for me.
For now I'm off to the gym. I asked and received this morning's workout and although I'm about 13 hours after my normal workout time, I need to go pound the pavement and throw some weight around in hope of getting a good nights sleep.
Life in Naples, Italy is anything but boring. No matter how long I've lived here and think I understand the culture, things still come as a shock! Didn't someone once say that when the crazy things seem normal it's time to move on? Guess I'm not moving on just yet! Until that day- I'm going to keep using my amazing 3 year opportunity to explore, shop, and eat until I run out of places to see, things become normal, or most likely, my 3 years are up.
Labels
A. Gaudí
Adjusting
Africa
Airports
Alberobello
Amalfi Coast
Ancient Greece
Ancient Rome
April
Arienzo
Auschwitz-Birkenau
Baia
Barcelona
Baseball
Basilica Cistern
Beach
Belgium
Birthday
Blue Mosque
Boats
Brussels
Bucharest
Burano
CA
Calcio
Capua
Car Horns
Carney Park
Caserta
Casertavecchia
Castellabate
Castles
Cathedral
cats
Change
Christmas
Coaching
Coffee
Community
Concentration Camp
Cooking
Cortona
Croatia
Crypt
Culture Shock
Cuma
D.C
Driving
Dublin
Duomo
Edinburgh
Ercolano
Fall
Family
Fan Mail
Fasano
Fashion
Festivals
Firenze
Fireworks
Food
France
Frustration
G.Nome
Gaeta
Germany
Gladiators
Goals
GPS
Grand Bazaar
Guest Writer
Gym
Halloween
Hiking
Holidays
Home
House
House-hunting
Ikea
International Travel
Ireland
Ischia
Istanbul
Italian
Italian Culture
Italian History
Italian Men
Jet lag
Job Search
Krakow
La Sagrada Familia
Language
Laundry
Le Piume Nere
Lisbon
Lizards
Madrid
Marathon
Marcianise
Markets
Martina Franca
Matera
Milestone
Minions
Moltocino
Mondragone
Monte Di Procida
Montella
Montepulciano
Mount Vesuvio
Moving
Murano
Museums
Naples
New Years
NPS
OCONE
Opera
Orvieto
Ostuni
Outside the Wire
Parc Güell
Paris
Pasta
Pieza
Pizza
Poland
Portugal
Positano
Power Outage
Pozzo di S. Patrizio
Protest
Ramblings
RAVI
Resolutions
Romania
Rome
Rota
Royal Palace
Running
Rynek Museum
San Carlo Theater
Santa Maria di Leuca
Schindler's Factory
Scotland
Seasons
Ships
Shoes
Shopping
Siena
Sightseeing
Signore Gatto
Soccer
Solopaca
Sorrento
Spain
Spice Market
Spring
Strikes
Stuttgart
TDY
Thanksgiving
TLA
Trains
Trieste
Trulli
TSA
Tübingen
Turkey
Tuscany
Uffizi
Updates
VA
VBS
Vietri sul Mare
Visitors
Walking Tour
Warrior Dash
Whatisit?
Whirling Dervishes
Wine
Work
Zagreb
Zoosafari
Zumba
Tuesday, May 31, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment